Any nonfood item is a potential poison. Each year thousands of children in Alabama are
accidentally poisoned. It is the responsibility of adults to make sure children are not
exposed to possible poisons.
Follows these rules in your home to prevent poisonings:
- Request safety lock tops on all prescription medicines
- Keep household cleaners, insect sprays, medicines and garage products out of sight and
reach of children.
- Never store food and cleaners together
- When throwing away products, rinse out the containers and dispose of them in covered
- Always store medicines in their original containers
- Avoid taking medicines in front of children because children love to imitate adults
- Never call medicine candy
- Never take or give medicine in the dark
- If you are interrupted by the phone or doorbell while using a medicine or household
product, take your child with you. It only takes a few seconds for your child to get into
- Anticipate your childs abilities. For example if your child is crawling, keep
products stored above floor level
- Be alert to repeat poisonings. A child who has swallowed a poison in the past is more
likely to be poisoned again.
- Never place household products into food containers such as coke cans, milk bottles or
cups or bowls that will attract a childs attention
- Buy potentially poisonous products only when needed
Many product labels give incorrect information. If a poisoning occurs call the
Alabama Poison Center 1-800-462-0800
Syrup of Ipecac
An essential item to have in your home is syrup of ipecac. It is a natural stomach
irritant and will safely induce vomiting within 20 minutes. Use this only on the advice of
the poison control center, emergency room or your doctor. There are certain poisons that
should never be vomited.
There are different dosages for different ages. The poison control center or your
doctor will give you complete instructions.
Be sure to have one bottle of syrup of ipecac in your home for each family member. You
can purchase it at the pharmacy without a prescription. The cost is very low but its value
is potentially life saving.